Top Selling Compact Camera|SLR Reviews

Tips For The Amateur Photograher

Tips for the amateur photographer, I believe are both welcomed and needed especially if you just starting out. It is not uncommon for an amateur photographer to be asked to perform miracles with his camera.  An amateur model may ask the photographer  to make her look better than she is in real life.  Many techniques can be applied in picture taking and post production that will allow a subject to look better than normal.   How is all this accomplished without altering the person’s looks? I am going to give you a some tips to accomplish that.

  • Use a high quality lens that will not alter the subject’s looks.  The 50mm and 80mm lens are perfect lens for this.  A high quality zoom lens will also suffice.
  • Put the subject in a 3/4 pose and take the picture from a low angle.  About 90% of people will look taller and thinner when the picture is taken from a low angle. The other 10% will do the opposite: will look taller an thinner from above.  It takes trial and error to determine how the subject will look when shot from various angles.
  • Use a reliable, quality lighting.  Having  adequate light is the most important of all the tips.  If the day is overcast, use diffuse or reflected natural light.  If you are using a flash as your source, bounce it off the ceiling, a reflector or a wall.  If you are in the studio, use a large softbox or octabox.  The larger the light source the better because it will help to remove shadows that accentuate blemishes, and wrinkles.

Amateur Photography Tips

  • Ask the subject to wear dark colored clothing.  This probably registers high in the hierarchy of tips. Black clothes tend to make the heavier person look  thinner.  The heavier subject should not wear skin tight clothing.  You can advise the subject on the type pf clothing to wear to compliment their body type.
  • Have a professional apply the makeup.  Pay attention to this tip because a number of people cannot apply makeup well. If the subject cannot afford to pay the professional, you can suggest that they get someone at the beginning of their career of Craigslist or anywhere they can find someone who is good and inexpensive.
  • Shoot the subject in a pose that will make them look good.  If the subject is uncomfortable in a particular pose and do not want to be photographed that way, change the pose.  Communicate with your subject and try to get inside their heads to determine how they really want the picture taken.  Remember, it not what you think but it is what the subject thinks and wants.  The subject will reject the pictures if they are not satisfied. Use these tips for a successful shoot.

The tips I have shared with you will help you with your shooting.  These tips will be useless if you do not use them.  Remember to really get to know your subject and use your judgement when to apply the tips.  Look at the way professional photographers shoot. Learn and garner tips from them.

 

Canon Eos Rebel T3

 

Canon Eos Rebel T3

 

Nikon D3100

 

Nikon D3200

 

Nikon D5100

Tagged: , ,

Got something to say? Click here to reply

One Response to “Tips For The Amateur Photograher”

  1. […] a long time, you know that an intimate relationship with your spouse is absolutely necessary.  An intimate relationship with God is like the relationship between a man and his wife.  A man is expected to […]

Leave a Reply